Music and Tech 2 Blog
Why won't you work???
Aubio has several basic structure types that handles all the identification. And I have figured out how they work! Well really just the one that identifies the pitch. So far I feel like the only two structures I will need to use are the pitch and onset identifications. I can not get the detection structure to work. It is not properly identifying when a note starts. It says if it detects there is a note it will return a noted between 1 and 2 to give the relative distance along the input hopper. Right now it is returning the number 4 on the first input hopper. I assume I need to play with some of the thresholds, like silence and peak threshold. I will be seaking help from Rob to find the issue.
A Hello World Start... Almost
Aubio has been much more difficult to work with than I though it would be. It has all it's own types, and data sturctures. I thought I was close to getting basic pitch detection working, but I can't figure out what to do with the values I get. I also realized last Thursday that Aubio has no midi playback, or any sort of playback whatsoever. So I will have to use a different package for that. Fortunately, when I was first looking around I found a C++ package called The Synthesis Toolkit. It is all based around midi sounds, and has a lot of instrument options. Currently, I am just trying to work with the software package and having a rough time. I wasn't able to get as much done as I would have like because I went away for the 3-day weekend, I am ready to make this work.
A New Library
After doing a lot of looking I will be using the library Aubio for this project. It has all the tools I need from pitch recognition and beat tracking. The only catch is it is a library for c and python. I know that you can compile c using c++ so I will just have to do a bit more work to get it to work. It should be fine overall.
Week of 1/27: My Project Concept
My project I will be working on for the semester will be slightly different then the stuff I have been exploring. The idea for my project comes from the album "Voice Notes" by Charlie Puth. He titled the album as such because if he had an idea for a song, melody, or lyrics, he would sing it into the voicenotes app on his iPhone. So I thought, what if there was a more fleshed out version of that. An app for musicians to sing or play ideas into an app on their phone for later. I am still deciding on the full capability of the application. I would like to have the app identify the pitches and transcribe it into a rhythmic schema identified by the user and then allow for midi, or original playback. The midi playback would allow for the user to record in multiple lines and then specify instruments and see how the sound together on the fly. I have decided to work in c++, and I will be putting all my coding work into this github repo so that anyone can see what I am working on. I do not have a good name for the app yet, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. I am still deciding on what audio package to use, right now I am deciding between SuperPowered SDK and The Synthesis Tookit.
Week of 1/20: Computer Music Research
This week I looked over some papers that caguth my eye were a paper about Coding with a Piano. I was able to find a video of one of the demonstrations of it. The idea is very interesting, and the fact that our classroom has a midi piano in it makes me think that there is potential for pursuing something along these lines. I also found this paper on Using Video Games as a method of Improvization which got me thinking about designing an instrument around the use of a controller. The joysticks make me think of a way to a fun synth modulator. I would have to think further on it. Beyond the pure coding aspects the idea of building a physical electronic instrument interests me greatly. The Modulin made by Martin Molin really fascinates me. The instrument takes its name from a modular syntesizer played sort of like a violin. I find systems like this incredibly fascinating. In response to augmented instruments discussed in class on 1/23, A guitar with built in audio effects.
Week of 1/13: A Beginning
First post for the class. In class on Monday I mentioned that I was thinking about doing something related to modifying live perfomance, and said the name Jacob Collier. One of his interesting live performances was a for a TED Talk in which he loops in quite astounding ways. Another aspect of his live performance is the use of a live prismizer sound effect. He has one of his keyboards running a version of the Prismizer vocal effect or vocoder. Manipulating a live performance in this way has alway been very interesting to me.